Monday, April 14, 2008

Update

Hello friends. I have shared a lot of my inner experience on this blog, but I have not kept you updated on the day-to-day happenings of my life. So here is what has been going on:

Michael and I are still in Boise. We are staying in a hotel. My brother and his family are in the same hotel. Mom and Sarah have returned to Eugene.

Our main objective at this point is taking care of legal matters related to my dad's estate, which is complicated because he owed money to a hospital for his chemotherapy, and so we have to get his rental houses ready to sell in order to satisfy those debts. We are working on getting lawyers who can help us sort that all out.

I had a visit this morning with the surgeon who operated on me. She took some x-rays, which showed good healing in both my pelvis and my arm. I am mostly using my crutches now, though for a longer distance I still need the wheelchair. I am proud to say I have weaned myself off the narcotics they sent me home with, though I still take a milder pain pill 4 times a day. I decided that while I am in Boise I will not see a physical therapist, since I will be here for such a short time. I have been given a home exercise routine to do this week, and when I get back to Eugene I will find a physical therapist to work with long term. I am also hoping to do some aqua-therapy at Tamarak and maybe some Tai Chi or Pilates when I am up to it (and definitely some bellydance!).

Michael and I are hoping to return to Eugene this weekend or early next week. He will be driving our car back, and I will be flying. The thought of travelling at all is abhorent to me right now. Even a car ride across town sometimes sets me to crying. I have to be very vigilent not to let my fear take over. I am looking forward to being home and not travelling again for a long time.

Some people have asked for our address here. It is:
SpringHill Suites by Marriott
Boise ParkCenter
c/o Jessie Carpenter, Room 137
424 E. ParkCenter Blvd.
Boise, ID 83706


Just do remember that we may not be here after Friday.

I want to share a quote that my cousin Anna sent to me:
"A broken heart is an open heart."

I'm not sure it is possible to be human and not have your heart broken in varying degrees. It is part of what unites us. I once heard some wise person advise that we remember that every person we meet has some hidden love, some hidden tragedy, and some hidden dream. This is so beautiful - to look at everyone with the eyes of compassion, because, deep down, we are the same in all the important ways.

No comments: