Sunday, April 20, 2008

A Leaf Dancing Joyfully

One of my favorite authors, Thich Naht Hanh, wrote this little piece. It makes me think of Dad, who worked hard to nourish the trees that are his children and grandchildren. And he nourished many others as well. I think he had no idea how much he gave to people. He felt like a loner, and he saw himself as an outsider, but in some ways he was at the very center of a large, branching community.

I asked the leaf whether it was frightened because it was autumn and the other leaves were falling. The leaf told me,“No. During the whole spring and summer I was completely alive. I worked hard to help nourish the tree, and now much of me is in the tree. I am not limited by this form. I am also the whole tree, and when I go back to the soil, I will continue to nourish the tree. So I don’t worry at all. As I leave this branch and float to the ground, I will wave to the tree and tell her, ‘I will see you again very soon.’”


That day there was a wind blowing and, after a while, I saw the leaf leave the branch and float down to the soil, dancing joyfully, because as it floated it saw itself already there in the tree. It was so happy. I bowed my head, knowing that I have a lot to learn from the leaf.

1 comment:

SerineKat said...

I agree with you about your father... I don't think he fully grasped how far and wide his influence reached. Just talking to neighbors in Gooding I saw on their faces how much they thought of him and his family. Too often we fail to realize how much we bring to the world around us. Your father was obviously a positive influence on his family and community -- what more could one ask for?