Friday, April 4, 2008

Morning Thoughts

Another day to be alive. Another day to be grateful for the abundance of beauty and kindness that surrounds me. The many flowers on my windowsill are such a tangible reminder of this. Last night Michael hung a beautiful piece of stained glass with a purple mandala / flower pattern. It was one that Sage had seen at the Boise Co-op last time we came through Boise. He was fascinated by it . . . by anything to do with light and color, and Michael bought it as a reminder for us to view the world as Sage did - with endless wonder and openness.

It is 8 a.m. The sun creeps leisurely across the roof directly outside my window. Now that we are in my new room on the rehab floor, Michael sleeps in the other patient bed of this 2-bed room. It is not an uplifting place, this room, with its 2 TV's (one for each bed) jutting out of the dull gray wall. Who in the world thinks of painting a "healing environment" gray?!?

The staff here are filled with compassion, humor and optimism. I look forward to the physical and occupational therapy sessions, which occur up to 6 times a day. Each day I am stronger and able to do things I couldn't do the day before. Today I was able to turn my left wrist, and I could lift my right foot a few inches off the floor. My physical therapist jokes that by next week I'll be doing one-handed cart-wheels. :-)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your words this morning are so inspirational. I am looking at the world around me as if I have never seen it before.
Thank you,
Lane

Unknown said...

Jessie, you are an amazing woman and Michael is so lucky to have you. I am so glad your life was spared in that horrible accident. In reading your blog and the comments, you have touched so many people in your life in so many ways. We haven't know you for very long, but I feel like you genuinely care about everyone you meet and we thank you for your love. Now it is our turn to share the love with you and your family. Let us know if you need anything at all or just want to talk. We wishe for you a speedy recovery and a safe trip home. Caye , Wayne, and Sabrina

Anonymous said...

Jessie and Michael, We are deeply saddened by the tragic loss of Sage and his grandpa and are holding you both and your families in our hearts. The thoughts and words you have shared remind me to live in love and appreciate the beauty that surrounds us every day. May the heaviness of your sorrow be lightened knowing that you are continuing on, spreading that love and beauty to everyone you touch.
Shannon, Michael and Aidan