Friday, June 20, 2008

The Way Wings Should

Today my coworkers at the Relief Nursery gathered together and planted a dogwood tree on the school grounds in honor of Sage. This offering was organized by the Relief Nursery Board of Directors. The tree will produce white flowers, and in the fall its leaves will turn scarlet.

Lupe and A.J. plant the tree.

Everyone helps.

R.N. staff with the beautiful little tree.

While we were gathered to plant the tree, my friend, Gretchen, read the following Rumi poem. It reminds me that children, not just our own, but all the children we encounter, need us to show them it is possible to live joyfully, passionately, and with fully open hearts. In my mind, this poem expresses the purpose and spirit of the Relief Nursery - to help the children (and the adults) in our community endure their struggles and wake with their hearts wanting to play . . . the way wings should.

The Way Wings Should

What will
our children do in the morning?
Will they wake with their hearts wanting to play,
the way wings
should?

Will they have dreamed the needed flights and gathered
the strength from the planets
that all men and women need
to balance the wonderful charms of
the earth
so that her power and beauty
does not make us forget our own?

I know all about the ways of the heart - how it wants to be alive.

Love so needs to love
that it will endure almost anything, even abuse,
just to flicker for a moment.
But the sky's mouth is kind,
its song will never hurt you,
for I sing those words.

What will our children do in the morning
if they do not see us
fly?

~ Rumi ~

A hug from Gretchen.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jess,

I am sitting here this evening with the little guy that I have been taking care of for the last couple of months, his name is Nathanael. It isn't really Nathanael that I want to tell you about though, it is his parents, John and Annette. Nathanael is a severe Down's child with many complicaitons and tonight Annette wore my favorite t-shirt ever "My child has more chromosomes than your child!" Almost nine years of caring for this little guy, all the while bearing and raising his two younger siblings, and surviving a bout with breast cancer. I am totally blessed by the fact that I keep getting to work with these true heroes. Not just in this family but almost everywhere that I go to work, and you way up there in Oregon bearing the unbearable. Over and over I am humbled and in awe of the people that are brought into my life. I learn more everytime that I even think of the challenges that so many others have to face every day. I am blessed by you and your courage...

love g.

Dr. Joanne Cacciatore said...

This is such a beautiful gesture of love and compassion- and also of remembrance, Jessie.

It brought tears to my eyes, and I'm thankful that I could share Sage's ceremony with you, even if vicariously.

Holding you both...
J