Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Small Things with Great Love


This is what I read at Sage's memorial. I want to share it here for those of you who were unable to attend.
____________________________________________________________

When I was in the hospital, I was offered some words of wisdom that have served as a touchstone for me ever since. My husband, Michael, looked at me and said, “We have to live in the light that Sage brought to our lives, and share that light with others.”

By asking you to join us today, that is what we are hoping to do - share the beautiful, loving energy of our son so that it can nurture the beautiful, loving energy in each of you.

In this way, we offer our little boy to all of you. Please help us carry his life energy forward.

We know you will help us with this because you’ve been doing it all along, holding our little family in your hearts since before Sage was even born.


You were with us through the sweet anticipation of pregnancy, the enormous joys an
d challenges of being new parents, the delight of watching our baby grow, and the devastation of losing him.

Thank you all for helping us give Sage a happy life.

If we could ask you for anything now, it would be that you take those Random Acts of Kindness Cards out into the world and do something amazing with them.

Mother Teresa said, “We cannot do great things in this life. We can only do small things with great love.” And that is the spirit of those cards.


When Sage was born, the first thing I said was, “I have a baby!” I said this with some surprise, as though through the course of labor I forgot exactly what the outcome would be.

The second thing I said was, “This is the best thing that has ever happened to me.” And without a doubt, knowing Sage was, by far, the best thing that has ever happened to me.

1 comment:

Dr. Joanne Cacciatore said...

Oh Jessie- this is truly truly beautiful.

My heart aches for you...and what a way to honor him.