Saturday, August 16, 2008

For the Traveler

In a couple of hours, Michael and I will begin our journey to Portland and then on to Maui. I find that I am filled with hopeful anticipation. I like the unpredictability of traveling, the way it stirs things up. I am surprised that I still feel this way in spite of all that happened the last time we ventured out into the wide world.


This morning
, Oceana and Grammy stopped by to say goodbye. Oceana gave me and Michael lots of hugs and kisses and an impromptu dance performance. She also gave me a rainbow colored fairy headband so I will remember her while I am gone. She said I could give it back when we get back. I gave her a silver anklet with dolphins on it so she will remember me, too.

Here is a blessing for us and for all of you who are making journeys, near and far.

For the Traveler

Every time you leave home,
Another road takes you
Into a world you were never in.

New strangers on other paths await.
New places that have never seen you
Will startle a little at your entry.
Old places that know you well
Will pretend nothing
Changed since your last visit.

When you travel, you find yourself
Alone in a different way,
More attentive now
To the self you bring along,
Your more subtle eye watching
You abroad; and how what meets you
Touches that part of the heart
That lies low at home.

When you travel,
A new silence
Goes with you,
And if you listen,
You will hear
What your heart would
Love to say.

May you travel in an awakened way,
Gathered wisely into your inner ground;
That you may not waste the invitations
Which wait along the way to transform you.

May you travel safely, arrive refreshed,
And live your time away to its fullest;
Return home more enriched, and free
To balance the gift of days which call you.

-John O'Donohue

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful poem. I hope you and your husband have a wonderful trip and that it's everything you hope it will be and more.

Anonymous said...

Have a wonderful trip.